Table of Contents
- #1 The Lab
- #2 War Thunder
- #3 DCS World
- #4 Rec Room
- #5 Google Earth
- #6 Deadly Hunter
- #7 Accounting
- #8 The Bellows
- #9 The Price of Freedom
- #10 Bigscreen Beta
- #11 Lazer bait
- #12 VR Retreat
- #13 Destinations
- #14 Waltz of the Wizard
- #15 Belko VR
- #16 TheWaveVR
- #17 MasterpieceVR
- #18 Irrational Exuberance
- #19 Allumette
- #20 Nevrosa: Prelude
Here is our list of the best 20 free VR games for the HTC Vive
#1 The Lab
- Set in a pocket universe of Aperture Science, The Lab offers a wide range of ways to enjoy VR, all in one application.
This is an essential group of mini games developed by Valve to showcase VR and is a must have for any VR owner.
#2 War Thunder
- War Thunder is a free-to-play, cross-platform MMO combat game for Windows, Linux, Mac and PlayStation®4 dedicated to military vehicles used in and around World War II and the Korean War. In War Thunder, you can take part in major battles on land, in the air, and at sea, fighting with real players from all over the world in a continuously developing environment.
While performance can be dodgy at times this game offers a great military flying experience in VR for Free.
#3 DCS World
- DCS World is a vehicle combat simulation game created by an inspired development team. DCS World uses a powerful engine that delivers realistic gameplay. The battlefield includes a spectacular mission area – the location of the Georgian conflict in 2008. Fly the Su-25T in a massive, semi-dynamic campaign to achieve dominance in the skies over Georgia! Experience the amazing flight dynamics and interactive cockpit of the TF-51D and understand why the Mustang is often regarded as the greatest fighter of the Second World War.
A true war simulator, can be difficult to pick up right away but offers a very realistic simulation of many combat airplanes.
#4 Rec Room
- The virtual reality social club where you play active games with friends from all around the world. Customize your appearance, then party up to play multiplayer games like Paintball, 3D Charades, Disc Golf, and even four player co-op adventures! Or just hang out in The Lounge (free membership required).
#5 Google Earth
- Google Earth VR lets you explore the world from totally new perspectives in virtual reality. Stroll the streets of Tokyo, soar over the Grand Canyon, or walk around the Eiffel Tower.
#6 Deadly Hunter
- Take the role of a Deadly Hunter in this first person defense game!
The Orcs invaded our homeland but we defeated them. However, there are still small bands of Orcs lingering in a number of our strongholds. As a renowned hunter, your task is to eliminate the remaining Orc troops and to liberate all strongholds.This one was a paid game that recently went completely free.
- In early 2016, three highly qualified Accountants came together to see what potential economic savings and visualizations could be achieved with The HTC Vive. These Accountants were quickly and discreetly discarded to be
replaced by award-winning game studio Crows Crows Crows and the newly announced VR studio Squanchtendo, to create the ultimate electronic number-crunching program.
Let’s get one thing straight: Accountancy is a mature profession and is not for children.
#8 The Bellows
- The Bellows has recently been reworked from the ground up. Taking the knowledge gleaned from the previous release, Castle Steps has created a polished horror experience designed to show people just how scary VR can be. The game has been redone with brand new content, new scares, and a singular focus. Scaring you, scaring your family, and scaring your friends. Plunge yourself into a world of nightmares and fear, and discover just how frightening virtual reality can be.
#9 The Price of Freedom
- January, 1960. The US is deep in Cold War with Russia, and nuclear war seems imminent, when Benjamin Miller breaks into CIA research facilities, stealing valuable Chemical Weapons research. Your mission: assassinate Miller and protect this information from falling into enemy hands. What seems like a straightforward mission soon takes a dark turn as you learn the truth behind Miller’s motives.
Become part of the story in this thrilling interactive Room-Scale VR narrative, inspired by true events.
#10 Bigscreen Beta
- Bigscreen is a virtual desktop app that lets you use your computer in VR on massive virtual screens and a place to hang out with other users in virtual worlds to play PC games, have virtual LAN parties, draw with 3D markers, listen to music, watch movies, anime, YouTube, and Twitch streams with friends, or relax by the campfire and chat.
#11 Lazer bait
- Lazerbait is a free arcade strategy game set in virtual reality with one simple goal: capture all the planets to build more ships and destroy your enemies!
The player is presented with a god-like perspective of a system of planets. Each planet that a player owns will produce ships over time. Using the motion controllers, the player can direct their fleet of ships from planet to planet in attempt to capture as many planets as possible. The more planets a player owns, the more ships the player can produce. Eventually players can build up fleets of many hundreds of ships that lead to awesome massive space battles.
#12 VR Retreat
- VR Retreat is a place to meditate, chill and play relaxing games in virtual reality. Enjoy different game modes, music and environments and play at your own pace.
While this is just a demo it offers a good amount of variety and content just in the demo.
- Destinations lets you explore both real and imaginary places in virtual reality with friends. Visit and learn about different countries, explore your favorite game environment, or play games with other players – invite your friends and go explore!
Another one made by Valve provides some photo realistic environments to enjoy in VR.
#14 Waltz of the Wizard
- Waltz of the Wizard is a virtual reality experience that lets you feel what it’s like to have magical powers. Combine arcane ingredients into a boiling cauldron with the help of an ancient spirit trapped in a human skull. Unleash creative or destructive wizardry upon a fully interactive virtual world. Travel to new places, finding yourself in mysterious circumstances full of detail and unforgettable atmosphere.
#15 Belko VR
- Set in the world of The Belko Experiment, the game will force players to make some pretty twisted choices in order to survive.
Each player starts off as a simple worker drone at the Belko Corporation, a dull multi-national company staffing Americans overseas…until one day when 80 of those employees are trapped inside one of their facilities. Forced to escape or die, you will have to solve multiple complex puzzles while a timer counts down to your demise.
- TheWaveVR is the interstellar music festival of the future you can access at any time from anywhere. Attend next level live concerts, discover mind-bending audio-visual experiences, and rave out with your friends at private dance parties. Make new friends from across the planet as you explore TheWaveVR universe.
Even if you don’t go t any of the live concerts the DJ booth you can play with solo is worth trying out.
- MasterpieceVR is the first collaborative virtual reality application for 3D sculpting, drawing and painting in the world. MasterpieceVR enables aspiring and professional artists to create sophisticated 3D artworks and models in immersive virtual reality environments.
#18 Irrational Exuberance
- Irrational Exuberance is an experiment to probe the possibilities of full room-scale VR and the HTC Vive, unfolding organically as you discover and engage with deep space phenomena. Prologue is the first taste of the galactic fantasy, delivering you to a lonely asteroid in deep space, underneath comets and giant stars.
- Allumette tells the story of a young orphan girl who lives in a fantastical city in the clouds. After enduring tragedy, she grasps at hope for her future. Loosely inspired by “The Little Match Girl” by Hans Christian Andersen, Allumette is an account of the love a mother and daughter have for one another, and the sacrifices they make for the greater good.
#20 Nevrosa: Prelude
- You wake up in a strange, but yet familiar place. You feel like you are supposed to be here for something. VR roomscale puzzle-horror game with redirect walking locomotion.